One wet Mudder

This past weekend, thousands of crazy people crawled under barbed wire, hoisted each other over ten-foot-high barriers, and immersed themselves in freezing cold water just to say that they completed Tough Mudder Alberta 2015 in Drumheller.

Thankfully, I wasn’t one of them — my adventure-seeking husband was.

What a great weekend to have it too! We drove through sheets of rain on the way up, showers as we drove around town, and the odd sprinkle when Mother Nature decided to ease up a bit. Actually, I don’t remember it ever not raining save for when we were driving back home Sunday afternoon and it finally stopped once we passed Vulcan.

But my husband says he had fun. “I loved it, injuries aside… I plan on going back next year with the hope that Mother Nature won’t turn the entire course into a ‘mud mile’. I used this past weekend to indulge in the foods I have been abstaining from, but now I have to focus on getting ready for the next one.”

I, on the other hand, dislike getting dirty, dislike extreme heat or extreme cold, and I didn’t want to be a spectator, for it requires you to sign a waiver in case something happens to you (read: I hate getting hurt!).

Thankfully, my friend Carli lives in Drumheller and kindly showed me around while my husband played in the mud.

What stood out the most during our stay were the hills that surround the entire valley with layers upon layers of exposed rock. I developed an irrational fear of the hills, and felt increasingly uneasy the longer we stayed. I’m used to Lethbridge’s grass-covered coulees with nothing peaking a boo at me (well, that I can see, at least). *shudder*

The first place Carli took me to was the town’s main attraction, the Royal Tyrrell Museum. I am probably the worst person to take to a dinosaur museum because I have absolutely no interest in them. When I was studying them in my elementary school science classes, I couldn’t wait to move on to the next unit, and I had no desire to see any of the movies in the Jurassic Park franchise. But we still walked around, making the odd comment here and there about the exhibits. Though, for the most part, we goofed around like a couple of kids while catching up on each other’s lives. It was the best part of the day! I’m pretty sure the museum guides, dressed in their logo-emblazoned maroon T-shirts and khaki pants, hated us and couldn’t wait for us to leave.

After stopping by a couple more tourist traps, including a climb to the top of the World’s Largest Dinosaur, we stopped for lunch at the Vietnamese Noodle House for some spring rolls and Pho. (Is it pronounced “Fo” or “Fa”? We drew our own conclusions, but they aren’t family-friendly.) After lunch, we meandered around downtown until we couldn’t stop yawning (seriously!) and decided to go for a sugar-filled treat at the Dairy Queen before I had to run off and pick up my mud man.

And that was my weekend.

How did you spend your Labour Day holiday weekend?

What do you like to do when it rains for three days straight?

And finally… Dinosaurs: Yay or nay?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s